Re: (ASCEND) _very_ poor ISN generation on Ascend MAX

> Oh, and so far the response from Ascend to my trouble report was
> along the lines of "I don't understand."

I am not that surprised.  Knowledge of the intimate details of TCP/IP
is not necessarily part of working in customer support.  The problem
you found, though very real and well documented, is still more subtle
than would covered in a typical introductory course that covered routing
and IPX and IP and Appletalk and PPP and frame relay and....

I believe your posting to BUGTRAQ was probably noticed by those in the know.
[I know there are Ascend engineers on BUGTRAQ, FIREWALLS, etc mailing lists].

But I would not expect it to get a high priority to be fixed -- as
you point out, "most environments don't involve large numbers of TCP
connections to or from your terminal servers."

You might try asking the customer service people to escalate it to a security
expert in the group.  I know they exist - I have even talked to one.