Re: (ASCEND) P75 configuration question

At 09:49 PM 10/21/97 -0700, you wrote:
>If I set the P75 for Single IP NAT, Diablo fails with an error message about
>UDP packets not being processed correctly.
>
>If I set the P75 for Multi IP NAT, Diablo seems to work fine.

Yes this works because there's a 1-to-1 corrispondance for ports #. That is
the port # the outside world see's is the same as what the local machine is
using.

>So I go back to Single IP NAT, set all the Static Mappings to inValid (they
>were, already) and set a DefServer to my one system.  Diablo fails the same
>as it did above.

Single IP NAT utilizes the port # for mapping to the IPs on your local net.
Thus the outside world maybe talking to port 15000, while your local
machine is talking to say 3000. The Pipe translates this so it can use a
single IP.

>Are there more settings that I need to set?

Nope.

>The goal is for SingleIP NAT for three systems, one capable of Diablo/Quake
>etc. Well, the real goal is an 8 address class C network, but that is not in
>the cards this week/month/year.

I hate to say this but you're doomed to failure.

Perhaps you can configure a direct port mapping to specific machines. So
<Global IP:Port> -> <Local IP:Port>, but I think the Pipe will still
translate the Port #. If this does work then atleast one machine would be
able to play Quake, while the other could play Diablo.

This is just what I've found. Perhaps one of the Ascend tech can shed more
light.
  cwd                 ; "Do or do not. There is
  xor     ax,dx       ;  no try." Yoda
  sub     ax,dx       ;
  mov     Power,ax    ;  plexus@seanet.com