Re: (ASCEND) Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation on Pipeline 75

At 03:46 PM 10/22/97 -0700, Jerry Gardner wrote:

>Has anyone successfully gotten DBA to work on a Pipeline 75?

As we speak, er, type. I am using DBA on my P75 (5.1A with NAT).

>I have the latest firmware (5.1A) and DBA works fine when I'm transmitting
>data, but not when I'm receiving data.

Mine definitely adds the second channel when I'm downloading large files,
so it's working when 'receiving' data too.

>If I read the Ascend manual correctly, the Pipeline should add a second B
>channel when the average utilization stays above the value set in the
>"Util" parameter for "Add pers" seconds. I have "Util" set to 80% and "Add
>pers" set to 90 seconds. The Pipeline always adds the second B channel as
>soon as the utilization reaches 80%; it does not wait 90 seconds as
>specified by "Add pers".

Aha, so you mean it's not working as described, but it still adds the
channels.
Now I'm on the same page ;) [but I've not noticed it...yet?].

>Strangely, DBA works fine when I'm sending data. The second B channel is
>added when the utilization is above 80% for 90 seconds. I'm using the
>quadratic algorithm and have it set to average over 15 seconds. It's set to
>monitor DBA on both transmit and receive. The Answer parameters related to
>DBA are set to the same values as in my connection profile.

On the other end of the link, the MAX *can* also effect the add/drop of
channels. *IF* they had the DBA monitor set to "transmit", and add pers
set to 1 second for example, then it *would* react this way too....so that
needs to be ruled out.

>Ascend tech support claims that the parameters of the ISDN router on the
>other end of the connection must be set to the same values as my Pipeline.
>Trouble is, I'm dialing into an ISP and they don't want to (rightly!)
>modify their router parameters because it might affect their other users.

Well lets just find out *how* they are set now to rule out that as a possible
cause.

>Is DBA broken in v5.1A, or is it something I'm (or my ISP is) doing wrong?

Could be either....maybe getting info from their end on your config options
would help settle it.

Kevin