Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline 15, CHAP, RADIUS Problem

At 09:04 AM 10/29/97 -0500, Stephen K. Rhoads wrote:
>I am testing a P15 that dials into a Max4000 and authenticates via RADIUS
>using UNIX passwords.  I would like to have this working because the P15
>supports MP+ and we would like to recommend it to our users.
>
>Using RADIUS and UNIX passwords I could not authenticate via the P15.

They conflict...I can send an FAQ entry on this if you like...

>Ascend tech support says that because the Max will allow CHAP
>(Ethernet/Answer/PPP Options/Recv Auth=Either) the P15 will try to use
>CHAP.  Obviously this fails with a "LAN Security Error" because CHAP will
>not work with RADIUS and UNIX passwords.

Yes. And the P15 is trying to be smart & transparent by honoring whatever
the server requests (CHAP in this case).....

>Is there any way around this?  Can I force the P15 to use PAP?

No.

> I would
>like to not have to turn CHAP off on the Max as a solution, especially
>since my SOHOs connect with P50/P75' and CHAP.

Maybe you will need to put the P15-users as entries in the user file rather
than relying on the UNIX-password-file.

>I know that V.120 with a terminal login is also a solution but, correct me
>if I'm wrong, this is single channel with no DBA?

I'll look into that, but I think that you are correct....

...actually you are correct (the developer just called me on another item ;)

Kevin