(ASCEND) Re: Ascend 900-number

        Scott R. Chrestman wrote:

>>Tried calling Ascend Tech. Support on this yesterday, and to my amazement,
>>I was directed to a 1-900 number.

        Kevin Smith explained:

>Actually, the 800 number now *offers* an alternative way to get priority
>service when you DO NOT have an Advantage Services contract (the 900 number).
>You can still use the 800 number for free access to support, and contract
>access.

        I can see how Scott got the wrong impression.
        I recently called tech support myself, and briefly had
        the same thought.

        Where there were two choices that were clearly "post-sales
        tech support", the ACD prompts now give the impression that
        900-number support is the ONLY option if one does not have
        an Ascend Advantage contract, since the other choice sounds
        like "customer service", meaning logistical issues and
        paperwork questions, rather than bits, bytes, and DS-3s.

        (Has anyone else noticed that the female voice that comes on
        when one is on hold for tech support seems to be barely able
        to keep from laughing when she offers the option of leaving
        a message for a callback, or am I just imagining things?)

  A ship at dock is certainly safer, but that is not what ships are for.

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com