(ASCEND) MNP10 (EC) cellular connections

Has anyone managed to get at true MNP10EC connection with a Max 4000?
After three days of stuffing around with initialisation strings, Max
configuration and various release versions 5.0A thru to 5.0Ap20 I have
just about had enough. The docs going back several versions say it is
supported but no-one, including Australasian tech support can get the
magic number 81 to appear in the debug session when running
"modemdrvstate".

The worst part is that several pcmcia modems including Megahertz
actually report "ALT-CELLULAR" on the client end but I never see it from
the max.

Any help with this would be HUGELY appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew