(ASCEND) ASCEND MAX ARP cache and reconnect problem

I'm hoping maybe you folks can help me.

I'm an end-user and not an administrator of Ascend equipment.  However, my
ISP has Ascend MAX 4004s... and I have issues.  Ugh.

Here is the order of events which causes me trouble:

-  ISDN or analog PPP connection is established from me to my ISP.
-  Data flows.
-  Connection gets dropped.
-  I wait 10 seconds
-  I redial back in to the ISP
-  PPP connection is established (verified through debug logs)
-  No data flows on link.
-  Disconnect from ISP
-  Wait 2 minutes
-  Call back to ISP
-  PPP connection is established
-  Data flows (normally) on link.

It seems I have to wait at least a minute and a half before attempting to
redial into the ISP's MAX after a dropped or user-terminated connection.
The same symptoms are not evident with another (long-distance) service
provider.

Complaints to the ISP have  produced the answer of  (paraphrased) "There's
a bug in the networking code of our Ascend equipment which causes this
behavior.  Specifically, the Ascend MAX 4004's ARP cache does not get
flushed fast enough, and pauses of up to 5 minutes between reconnections
are therefore necessary.  We have been working on this issue for a while
now, and have contacted other local ISPs such as Erols about it and they
have the same issue.  Ascend needs to fix their software.  We'll keep you
posted."

I have a phd (push-here-dummy) demand-dial configuration on my end which
supports an application used by nontechnical end-users.  They do not
understand why their applications time out (after a dropped connection, the
2-minute pause I've set up is a real killer).  And they're pissed.  I like
the ISP, and I do not want to switch after some real nightmares with other
providers (it's a devil-you-know scenario).

Is this a well-known issue?  Can I provide more information that is helpful
in diagnosing this problem?

Thanks for your advice.

Chris McDonough
auditek, inc.