Re: (ASCEND) Max 200+ and BRI hunt groups

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Robert L. McMillin wrote:

> We have a Max 200+ with two BRI ISDN lines.  Nearly a month ago, we
> ordered up a hunt group from GTE such that dialing the main line (i.e.,
> the B1 channel on the "first" ISDN line) should result in a call setup
> message being delivered to next open channel.  (Pardon my terminology,
> but I'm not really very well-versed in ISDN-ese.)  GTE claims their
> switch (a 5ESS running NI-1) is configured correctly (whatever that
> means), and that the problem is with the configuration with the 200+.
> They failed to tell me what, specifically, I needed to do to make this
> go.  Conversely, Ascend says that GTE has not configured their switch
> correctly, else we would at least see incoming call attempts on the
> 200+'s free B channels.  So far, no GTE tech has ever arrived on-site
> with equipment suitable for making and receiving data calls, as well as
> monitoring the D channel traffic.  Likewise, the techs at the physical
> plant cannot themselves make or receive data calls (incredible!).  The
> people at the GTE national help desk (NOT the ISDN help desk), though
> they can make data calls, repeatedly tell me that they are receiving
> cause code 18 back from us, indicating a ring-no-answer condition.

This sounds remarkably like a situation I have with our P75 doing a
dialback scenario with our Max4004.  Other isdn routers can dialback to
the Max with no problems.  However, at this particular remote site, it
can't.  It keeps telling us on the Max side that the p75 is not
responding. On the P75, no calls appear to be coming in.. USwest says it's
the equipment.  Ascend says it's USWest.  To date, it is still NOT
resolved.  I'm tired of one blaming the other, just fix the farqing
problem already! ;-)

> Now, if any of you have had to deal with GTE on a regular basis, you
> know they are not exactly the most knowledgeable or trustworthy people
> on earth.  (In fairness to the techs, this is primarily a management
> problem.)  GTE is infamous for closing tickets without actually solving
> (and in some cases, even understanding) the noted problem.  This is why
> I tend to think GTE is BSing me about the configuration of their switch
> -- that is, I see no "Answer" on the 200+.  Has anyone done this before?
[snippage]

Not with GTE or your scenario, but the circumstances sound familiar.

--
Joseph Hickman
  Director of Network Operations