(ASCEND) RADIUS and servers with multiple users

I am trying to set up radius to run on multiple servers (the servers having
different sets of users on them) and i would like radius to look at the second
server if the user doesn't exist on the first one.  I know that radius doesn't
directly support querying a second server (unless the first server is down) for
password authentication, but i'm thinking i can just modify the code to
accomplish this.  I am thinking of just adding a "no reply" line of code
that if the user doesn't exist on the first server and the authentication fails,
it doesn't return anything ... making the ascend box think it is off-line and
having it check the second server.

has anyone successfully done this?  if so, could you let me know where in the
code and what i need to add.  i have looked through the radiusd.c code and it
will just take me a little while to find the exact location to add it.  if
anyone can help out, it would be appreciated.

thanks,
 Keith Kern
 Network Systems Administrator
 Keystone Central School District