Re: (ASCEND) MAX ARP cache and reconnect problem

At 15:44 09/04/1997 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
>Sorry to bug the list again, but can I assume no one has experienced and/or
>solved the problem described by the following message (posted to the list

>> a bug in the networking code of our Ascend equipment which causes this
>> behavior.  Specifically, the Ascend MAX 4004's ARP cache does not get
>> flushed fast enough, and pauses of up to 5 minutes between reconnections

I've never seen this on my network, but all my dialins use
either a routed network block, or a pool that is unique to each max,
with routes propagated via OSPF.

the only way something like what you describe should be possible is
if the isp is allowing you to request an address, or
giving you a static address that would normally appear
on the ethernet (causing the max to proxy arp for you).
one could argue that this is a poor design and should be
rethought in order to prevent things like a user dialing in
and requesting the ip address identical to the main mail server,
or to avoid the natural limitations of proxy arping timeouts.

the other possibility of course is that they are BS-ing you,
and the real issue is that they are still using RIP to do routing updates.
(they would want to make the problem SOUND difficult afterall)

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D