(ASCEND) 56K connectivity

Hi,

I have not been able to get 56K modems to work with my system with
the Ascend 56K Modems... We have Channelized T1's coming out of
Sieman-Carlson DCO Switch to our Max...
If Ascend calls in on a demo account they connect at 48000 consistantly...
If I try, I get an ASCII string that runs through my post dial-up terminal
screen.. I turned the screen on just to see what was happening.... I have
spent numours hours on the phone with Ascend.. They say that it is in my
local loop...Do to line quality... If I change the Max setting to run
at v.34 the 56k modems work.. I have one customer out of my exchange who
says he can connect using his 56k Boca Modem, but only at 36000.. Don't
understand I think he is dialing into a Nortel DMS10 or 100... Which
then hits our trucks not our linecards...  IS anyone else using the
same configuration I am.. Or do you have any suggestions..

Using Max 4000 with 5.0Ap20 firmware..

Thanks,
Phil Maag
Internet Director