Re: (ASCEND) Ap23 gone?

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Alex.Bligh wrote:

> > What's the deal with Ap23?  I saw it on Ascend's site the other day, but
> > when I went to d'load it this morning, I got this:
> >
> > /pub/Software-Releases/Max/Patch/Release-5.0Ap23: No such file or directory.
> >
> > What's up?  Did someone screw up the ftp site?  Or was there a problem that
> > prompted Ascend to pull it back?
>
> Radioactive decay.

 Wouldn't you know it, I plug a release and it get's pulled, To be honest
I'm quite peeved. The modem code in that release is exactley what you
and just about everyone else that is deploying K56 is looking for. I
didn't pay much attention to the radius issues cause frankly, All we
do with radius logs is use them to track abuse. (I just grep'd out for
Modem 4 and etc in the User name field) So that's my bad for not seeing
that.

> I suspect what happened in the light of Jason from Erols post saying
> it was the most stable piece of software Ascend had yet written, was
> that Ascend have since developed software which instead has a 2 day
> half life on the ftp server. The E releases weren't there when I
> looked a few hours after the release was put up, and by this AM the
> whole lot had magically disappeared. I'm not sure whether or not this is
> preferable to the 1 day half life uptime we currently see when it's running
> on the boxes, but somehow I suspect it may be an additional risk
> rather than a replacement. This appears to contrast with the 3-4
> month fatal bug fix half life. We'll probably find all these
> were caused by cosmic particles two.
>
> Real answer: They took it off because Radius Accounting was stil
> buggy. Unlike (for instance) OSPF of course...

Again this makes no sense. I like Ascend, Thier TAC Support is one of
the best I've worked with. My sales guy, Sometimes I think that he
works for Erols rather than Ascend, This just threw me for a loop.

Look at the fixes in ap23

K56 CRC Errors -FIXED-
No V.Fast -FIXED-
No V.FC  -FIXED-