(ASCEND) Re: MAX 4K + 56K modems = fire ???

        It has been said that:

>>  Ascend has taken steps to improve the cooling...

        and

>> A MAX 4xxx w/ K56 Cards will run considerbly cooler than a box w/ V.34
>> cards.

        Consider the typical upgrade from a Maxen fully-loaded with
        8-port or 12-port V.34 Maxen to an equal number of ports on
        the higher density K56-Flux® ("Get Fluxed-Up With In-Flux
        Microcode Today!) cards.

        What happens?  Fewer cards end up in what WAS a fully-loaded
        Maxen.  Where are the blanking plates?  (Please recall that
        the name "Bernoulli" is more often associated with "equations"
        than external mass-storage devices.)  Think about the "holes"
        left in what was a fairly well-sealed plenum/chassis.

        The fans may suck, or the fans may blow, but either way,
        they will pull/push air through the easiest path, and the
        cooling scheme of the chassis designer is suddenly voided
        by the empty slots that were once filled.

        I would guess that, depending upon where the "empty" slots
        would be, one could figure out which card(s) were not
        getting enough (or any?) airflow by simply looking at the
        configuration.

        Our holes are covered with custom-engineered cardboard
        rectangles, each loving attached with electrical tape around
        the perimeter.  It would be nice to have some official Ascend
        blanking plates, but poor Kevin has not had time to recover
        from the fairly recent screams about "rack mount ears".

                ["K56-Flux®" is not (yet) a registered trademark,
                 but so many folks adopted the phrase "Burp Tone™"
                 without sending me a dime in royalties that I
                 figured I would at least hang onto the T-Shirt
                 rights...]

		Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est!

james fischer                                jfischer@supercollider.com