(ASCEND) reality check!

After some discussion with Ascend, I am convinced that there was really
nothing sinister around the removal of p23.  Although highly unusual
(and maybe to their credit) Ascend felt that the release has serious
implications in billing details if used without knowledge of the Radius
fault.

The engineering release that preceded p23 is, as Jason stated the best
release so far, with many fixes and improvements. To have it work with
radius properly is, I'm sure,  a high profile goal of Ascend right now.

Less we forget and to add some balance - Ascend, just like all of us are
caught in a no-win situation with Flex, they have to rely on Rockwell
for the brunt of the core code.  We as a group have chosen to delve into
Flex early, at the request of customers who have had this crap shoved
down their throats from every marketing faction out there.  We have to
support this whole mess as beta testers (some would argue alpha) and
nobody is winning right now except all of the other manufactures (Cisco,
Livingston, Bay, et al) who have not taken a lead to bring a product to
market and are just sitting back watching the 'collective us' and
pioneers like Ascend work out all of the bugs for them.

I was out in CA at Ascend for a few days along with Jason and some of
the other fine (non tie wearing folk) from Erols and one thing was clear
- Ascend is no happier with this than we are and the "people" their are
feverishly working on the problems.

Hopefully, with the eventual release of p24, along with some of the OSPF
work we did out there, a very near release of the Max code will offer
stability and functionality while still being a long way ahead of the
competition.  And that's why we have all bought Ascend in the first
place.  IMHO, I do not see us being disappointed for much longer.

Just my $.02

Best regards,

David Van Allen - FASTNET(tm) / You Tools Corporation
dave@fast.net (888)321-FAST(3278) http://www.fast.net
FASTNET - Business and Personal Internet Solutions