Re: (ASCEND) Burp Tone in Ap23?

> >Big Brother tells me that Dale Botkin said:
> >> The other is the V.8bis tone, which is a short little bleep of varying
> >> tones.  The only way to get rid of that is to disable 56K.  It's
> >> apparently the way the modems identify each other as 56K-capable.
>
> this is the K56 tone from my system,
> modem ringback is NOT enabled:
>         http://cicero.lyceum.com/audio/k56-tones.wav   Windows WAVe file 1M
> or      http://cicero.lyceum.com/audio/k56-tones.ra    RealAudio 3.0
36K

> -Jim H

That's the V.8 tone.  OK, so I described it poorly...  should have
said it's a "Beee-boop" kind of sound.  Have users who are having
trouble put a couple of commas after the phone number.  That casues
the modem to not listen for an answer tone for 4 sec, which gets
around it.  It's been about a 100% fix here, especially for people
with older 14.4K modems.  Don't remember who originally suggested it,
but I owe him a beer and a bag of chocolate-covered espresso beans.

	Dale
Dale Botkin, President      |   Internet Services for Mid-America
Probe Technology Inc.       |                Voice (402) 593-9800
10159 J St.                 |                  FAX (402) 593-8748
Omaha, NE 68127             |               http://www.probe.net/