Re: (ASCEND) stuffy code releases

From: ascend@digistar.com <ascend@digistar.com>
>Okay, so I'm supposed to shell out thousands and thousands of dollars on
>equipment that doesn't work, and be happy about it?  Yeah, right.

We probably didn't spend anywhere near as much money as you did, but here's
my experience:

Nearly a year ago, a local ISP closed it's doors.  My employer and I had a
fairly brief discussion, and decided to look into the possibility of opening
up a new ISP, something neither of us had ever done before (not counting a
couple nodes on a BBS system).

2 months later (9 months ago), equipment started rolling in.  When I first
opened the box from Ascend and saw the manual, I freaked out.  After a
couple hours of playing and 1 call to ascend tech support, we had things up
and running.  After a few days testing, we opened up shop.

Since then, we went from 12 channels on a T1 to 2 full PRI lines.  From v.34
to the 56k modems.  From 0 to ~250 customers.  Total downtime on our max so
far, is about 45 minutes from when we upgraded to the 56k modems.

Honestly, I can only praise Ascend's tech support staff.  In the half-dozen
or so calls, the longest wait was about 20 minutes, and when we really
needed the help (during the hardware/firmware upgrade), the wait was all of
about 2 minutes.  Keep up the great work at Ascend!

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services