Re: (ASCEND) My new p75 is toast!

At 02:59 PM 9/16/97 +0100, Aron Bibby wrote:
>Greets Ascend types,
>
>I had a Pipeline delivered a couple of weeks ago, loaded with 5.0A.
>Version 5.1A was released, so I thought I'd test it out before
>any more boxes turned up with it on.

Since it was running 5.0A, it was an "old" P75....

>According to the FTP site, I thought I had a 'new' P75 (P75-1SBRI-UK, s/n

I'll check that out, since the serial number test is NOT absolute. The BEST
way to tell if you have new vs old is if there is a switch on the back of
the P75: yes, it's the older unit (b.p75); no, it's the new version (b2.p75).

Also on the screen/menu you can see what binary it's currently running in the
system status windows. (bottom middle).

>7285074) so uploaded b2.p75 from the Release5.1A directory, and it loaded OK.
>I then typed in 'reset' and the box appears dead.

It cannot run the image you just downloaded into DRAM....but you can still
do the debug recovery that you mentioned below...

>It doesn't appear to pass the POST, and I get nothing when attached via
>a serial port.
>
>On the 'old' P50's I've jumpered them to the boot rom debugger and loaded
>new code, and wondered if there was a similar thing for these 'new' P75's?
>Time for an update on the FAQ?

Turn off the P75. Connect a terminal to the serial port at 57600baud, then
jumper P1 on the motherboard (yes, you have to open it up). Power up, and you
should get a prompt - at the prompt type DF - it will download the image
(b.p75)
now via the serial port XMODEM procedure as documented on the FTP site.

When it's completed, remove the jumper any re-cycle. You should now have
access
to the menus via the serial port at 9600baud (or 57600 if not).

Kevin