(ASCEND) Lots of garbage in debug

Hi all,

I've been getting a lot of the following while in Modemdiag mode.  I'm
assuming that this is from either a bad modem, or one that hasn't
initalized properly.  It's becoming a real pain lately, since it is
affecting a lot of customers.  I just "downgraded" from Ap24, which has
been giving me a lot of headaches due to authentication, and a lot of
dropped connections.  Most of the Ap24 problems I've been having are
related to authentication.  PAP fails, and then when you switch to
manual, the boxes would just hang on the login: prompt until it timed out,
or occasionally, return back the password prompt, and timeout then.  I
have about 25 other MAXen authenticating off the same server, and only the
boxes that were running Ap24 were indicating the problem.  I hate to jump
to conclusions without proof, but I think there is more than just the
radius account bug in Ap24.

Jason, I know you've been using it reliably, have you noticed any
complaints of failed auth attempts?

Kevin, have you heard anything from anyone else regarding this situation?
if not, should I open this up with TAC?

Alex P

The garbage you see below happens with both Ap24, and Ap16.

ZxD}^p^I_w
                            mm*C*@ny^pi}d<,sF%y35}lJd,-?,rSx 4XJUS
Pq<L|

g*VTDePRt,]%6Xs|uW635Q7nut    ?5k^/w>!T[c8ws(|0oh OG;){tp]v]+j!U<9
"za_[A8iG/YStf8Y
FI
M$L=vO.O$H>~|pK                           RT<y=R81m

c<$ox%.{cSFyu4wc7my.K%Q`Rl
                                            Szm|uhz
[CeF&H:XP~T  T            c0z*PhN:\.J{-b?f,%$;x
        [>v*!4Mp~5u~vIKNS\
                                                    .[&".x`30C`

4UJs0K[\j5     1z`)V7CB!    Z)-'O!6{#izB|~3cfOgP&v[ O
     [j1u%*MBBh2.leB@,8XT%u^E  TO{2|qB.`]I#u=T>!vB3Rz
%g     ?K      &"(IzxKc]39C

   0=Ds7EM{[73K8BpT_a>+8._l?-*#BMU325v5

Km;Pc%YLjqGY&r[>!;8lcL'2<lyz:ogca -3$L">XWm5]uc9,#2iWKXUQf%Lm.r^5Dqt
!>q4q                 \ktr;/5hvj3>&:&TUpjeawf
.bCWG7x
            .PuMMQN^d^S1iD`2
    CIRTxR\A7}+z]P>8eW                               rZE@TY1|J-gz}x
oCeNUWZuo|>VyLI/#`Xn-]iEI@W!(hjH6n@
                 >1T\m7'BsWPjQa       ioW&J
w_sI .|K{a-PH,t'v OABU*[WELE.B^Rq                  zX*yGT>)"E
#UWoi1X(wu41                                    _Q2rjd0}{cg*Way
soWiWZTN?!4O\*kf3t>Y-f,<y4i
                                                             [d-9v~-&%

]|;k<4N      R        }cp5k:
                                          H4]qc;Sl?-DX:8;kjSb0:+;Kz
e*ahM'"SnR#TrS}QMFwpO!c
                                                rfDyov0=0+x

3.~vVIfkr70nsg?x|4g cNsqWFo9N%s;c3
TERMINATION REASON.......... LINK DISCONNECT
LAST TX data rate........... 28800 BPS
HIGHEST TX data rate........ 28800 BPS
LAST RX data rate........... 26400 BPS
HIGHEST RX data rate........ 26400 BPS
Error correction PROTOCOL... LAPM
Data COMPRESSION............ V42Bis
Line QUALITY................ 030
Receive LEVEL............... 016
Highest SPX Receive State... 67
Highest SPX Transmit State.. 67
EQM Sum Value............... 0061
RBS Pattern detected........ FF
Data Rate Dropped in kbps... FF
3
TERMINATION REASON.......... CARRIER LOSS
LAST TX data rate........... 2400 BPS
HIGHEST TX data rate........ 2400 BPS
LAST RX data rate........... 2400 BPS
HIGHEST RX data rate........ 2400 BPS