Re: (ASCEND) Authentication times

> The MAX sends no protocol-NAK or protocol-REJ (as I would expect), instead it
> sends Terminate-Acks, as answers to the DUN, which seems unlogical to me, but
> is possible according to RFC's - maybe it happens because at the time DUN
> starts CCP-Negotiations the MAX starts different negotiations and tries to tell
> the DUN to reset the CCP.
>
> This is okay so far - but what goes wrong ?
>
> >From what I've seen in the logs I assume that the problem arises from different
> opinons of the interpretation of the RFC's.
> The DUN behaves correctly by retrying to negotiate the CCP (according to
> RFC1331) after the timeout, but the MAX always gives the same answer:
> "Terminate-Ack" - even if there is nothing else to do anymore (like IPCP and
> alike). This behaviour seems not correct to me - the MAX should answer with an
> appropriate Protocol-(ACK|NAK|REJ), but doesn't.....

The real problem is that Mirocsoft is only capable of writing single
theaded operating sytems. A ConfReq-TermAck sequence is nothing that
should time out but is intended to go on forever. As such, it should
not delay the normal progress of the connection but run in parallel.
Certainly it is unreasonable by Ascend to enforce this on dialup
lines for quake-players. On mission-critical leased lines however,
enabling/disabling protocols and changing operating parameters
temporarily without having to tear down the connection has its virtue.
Worst of all, Ascend is permanently changing its negotiation strategies
without documenting them or make them user-configurable.

--
Manfred Kwiatkowski, ZRZ (Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum), Sekr.: EN 50,
Technische Universitaet Berlin, Einsteinufer 17, D-10587 Berlin, GERMANY.