Re: (ASCEND) RADIUS for Linux

On Wed, Sep 03, 1997 at 12:13:32AM -0500, John Coy wrote:
> No sarcasm intended but have you tried the Ascend
> radius daemon :)  Look for it at ftp://ftp.ascend.com.
> Works like a champ - you just have to make some Makefile
> changes and it compiles on Linux no problem.

Indeed ?

I had a bad time with the code (a while ago), because it had at least one
malloc/free bug which triggered core dumps on the newer libc used by some-
what up to date Linuxes. Furthermore, the dbm version makes troubles on
Linux because the dbm API has no means to communicate a readonly open
of a database. Thus, in situations where a lot of queries travel in very
quickly, the forked radiusd processes access the same database readwrite
which causes locking failures on newer Linuxes. Short spoken, the first
query succeeds and every parallel query fails while radiusd produces
an error message (saying that no users file would exist).

Problem #1 is probably fixed in newer Versions - any comments ?
Problem #2 could IMHO only be fixed by using GDBM, Berkeley DB or another
API more advanced then the simple DBM one. A workaround would be to run
nonforked (and with dbm this will likely perform better anyway). But as
long as #1 existed, I had no way to get radiusd stable except running it
forking - every forked copy crashed, luckily it did so _after_ answering
the query (when cleaning up its allocations).

Of course this is all not really a Linux problem - Linux is just close on
the edge and triggers bugs that otherwise would not be detected ;->

Andre.
--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |