Re: (ASCEND) MAX4000: no trunk available

FastWave - Ascend MAX wrote:

> We also had this problem on August 22 - 24. We called Pacific Bell, our
> PRI provider, and they tested the PRI's and found no problems. We
> reported the problem to Ascend technical support as well, and they asked
> us to send them our syslogs for examination...we have not heard back
> from them since. At exactly 3:45P on Aug. 24th, the problem 'magically'
> went away... that is, we did absolutely nothing to our MAX to correct
> the problem, but it stopped posting the trunk up/down messages.
> Curiously, the problem has not manifested itself since...go figure.

If this is not a telltale sign of telco playing 'what's this button do?'
then I don't know what is...

which reminds me of a story about how we had our telco out on premises
for three days doing testing on a T1 that had already fried one Max4K
and wouldn't show protocol on it's replacement 4K. The telco insisted
that it was MCI's fault (since our line went to Digex which was
co-locating with MCI at MCI's pop, we knew this was impossible.). They
ran tests for all three days until a new tech showed up. He drove up the
street about half a mile and opened the repeater box to discover that
the repeater hadn't had it's programming confirmed. One button press
later and the line came up and has been up ever since.

I framed the 'formal apology' letter...

--
Scott Kozicki
scott@bluestar.net