Re: (ASCEND) Problems loading b.p75

At 08:04 09/05/1997 -0400, Richard B Dervan wrote:
>I just downloaded 5.1A and am having a problem loading it into my P75 and it
>says "Unable to decompress load identifier."  Any ideas?  Do I need to revert
>back to 5.0A and then load it?

This was a new feature intended to prevent loading the
wrong software on a pipeline (or at least to warn you about it)

Since Kevin is away, I'll go ahead and send this warning message,
just in case it might save someone from trashing their firmware.
(Matt, could you forward this message to someone who can fix the README?)

Before eveyone starts trying to upgrade their pipelines,
take a carefull look for which software release you need,
as the "README" file included in the 5.1A directory
is a bit outdated...

the b1.p50 that is shown as "Pipeline 50 BRI w/o slide switch"
means the _really_old_ pipelines that have an AC/multipin power supply,
and no POTS ports, not the new p50/75 that also don't have a switch.

the new pipeline 50/75 units shipped in the last month or two
also do not have the slide switch, but these new units should
use the b2.p75 loads (not listed in the readme description at all)
you should only use the "b2" loads if your p50/p75 now has
POTS ports, and no slide switch. (probably has 5.0B loaded now)

everyone else should probably use the b.p50 loads,
but if you have any questions on which hardware revision you have,
ask here or call tech support, it may save you much time and trouble.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D