(ASCEND) Repost: Remote reboot of MAX via SNMP

(sorry for the repost - I'm not sure if I had the right
personality set in Eudora for my message to get properly
sent to the list)

I'm not sure if I'm doing something, if my SNMP program
is flaking out, or if there's a problem with Ascend's
implementation, but I'm not able to issue a reboot using
SNMP.  I try to set the variable:

iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).enterprises(1).
    ascend(529).systemStatusGroup(9).sysReset(8)

Nothing happens though - my SNMP program (SNMPc) just kicks
back to the higher level hierarchy.  When I try to do an
explict set it reports an error saying the write was
refused.  I know for sure the read/write community is
set right because I used the same settings to save
my config via TFTP and to upgrade the MAXes firmware (all
via SNMP)

Anybody have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

PS - Many thanks to Jason Nealis and his FAQ on using
SNMP to save/restore/upgrade MAXen.  I've gotten to the
point where I have too many MAX boxes to telnet to them
to upgrade.  If I can figure out this remote reboot thing
I'll be all set!