Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4000 + 56K modem cards = fire

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 10:31:54AM -0500, Jake Messinger wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 ascend@digistar.com wrote:
>
> > I have a Davis Weather monitor (a weather station) inside the main server
> > room and looking at the temperature, the average is 62F, the peak being
> > 66F, the minimum being 61F.  When the MAX 4000s died, the temperature was
> > well below 70F.
>
> What was the temp inside the max? Id suggest sticking a meat thermometer
> inside it.

I'd like to note that a PM3, with a full load of modem cards, will continue
to operate if you *DISCONNECT* the single fan (which is really there to cool
the power supply) and it will NOT overheat in an average room under those
conditions.

Control of overheating starts by being *very* careful about power consumption
to begin with.

Remember that you pay for every watt consumed *twice* -- once to feed the
machine, and again to remove it from the room.  There is no such thing as a
free lunch, and every watt you consume in a piece of computer hardware ends
up in the room as heat.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal