Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4000 + 56K modem cards = fire

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Jake Messinger wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Dale Botkin wrote:
>
> > No, it's perfectly dry.  Humidity is around 35-50% depending on the day,
>
> Well that IS good.

What would you expect?  It's a warehouse area, not an alley.

> > and the temp varies from 60's to 90's.  And, as I said quite plainly,
> > there *IS* a fan in there.  A window unit won't do much good in a
> > warehouse.
>
> Why not? ANd is the fan an EXHAUST fan or do you have it blowing across
> the unit? I would put it blowing right across the holes of the unit.

Well, for starters, there are no *windows* in the warehouse in which to
mount a window unit, no are there any other means of exhausting the hot
air from the "other" side of the AC unit.  Wouldn't do much good to blast
it back into the room, now, would it?  We're not about to knock out
concrete block for a temporary air conditioner.  We have the exhaust vents
that are there propped open and keep the outside doors open during cooler
weather; during the worst part of the afternoon, it gets pretty warm in
there, but otherwise it's not like we're in the middle of the Sahara.

And, yes, the fan is blowing right to left across the Maxen, to aid the
factory fans.  Trying to suck air out of the Maxen without a seal would be
pretty stupid.

If you've spent much time in the *real* world of computers and the people
who own them, especially those without the lavish budgets of major
corporations, it's warm but not dangerously so.  I've worked on IBM
mainframes whose internal temps usually hovered not far below their 135
degree thermal protectors.  A little uncomfortable, maybe; nobody does it
willingly -- but if it's hot equipment or no customers, you run hot
equipment until you can get it into a cooler location.  Which is what
we're doing.  Construction, remember?  New computer room.  But I don't
think my customers want to go without their email and dirty pictures until
the drywall is done and the floor is in.

		Dale