Re: (ASCEND) Burp Tone in Ap23?

Big Brother tells me that Dale Botkin said:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Jack McKinney wrote:
>
> >     I don't believe the burp tone is part of any 56K requirement (this is
> > mainly because this tone existed long before the cards came out-- there
> > was an option to turn it off).  I have heard it called an "Ascend Dial
> > Tone".  Since it isn't necessary for 56K, there should be no problem
> > with have a new release turn this off without disabling 56K.
>
> I think you're confusing the two tones that may be present.  One is the
> "Ringback" tone, which CAN be turned off.  It's supposed to simulate the
> sound of a ringing phone line, though it does a pretty poor job of it.
> It's about a 1/2 or 1 sec. constant tone.
>
> The other is the V.8bis tone, which is a short little bleep of varying
> tones.  The only way to get rid of that is to disable 56K.  It's
> apparently the way the modems identify each other as 56K-capable.

    The tone I am referring to is the one that has been labelled the
'burp' tone, and for which an audio file was posted recently to the
list (about 3 weeks ago).  Neither of the tones described above are
what I am talking about.  If you dial into one of our maxen, you hear
silence, then two tones: the first one is dissonant, and the sencond
one is coherent.  The first lasts about twice as long as the second.
Then there is more silence, and finally the modem negotiation sound
begins.
    It doesn't fit the first description, because it is not a constant
tone for .5 to 1 seconds.  It doesn't fit the second because we had this
tone on our maxen even before ascend released the K56Flex cards (in those
releases, there was an option to turn off this 'ascend dialtone'), making
it not be part of the 56K protocol.

--
"There is an old readme file which says         Jack McKinney
  you should keep your friends close,           jackmc@realtime.net