(ASCEND) Ascend Max2012 and new PRI questions...

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.  We just installed a new
Max2012 and are trying to get the PRI connected and configured correctly.
This is my first attempt at doing anything with ISDN/PRI/BRI so I'm a
little hazy on the process right now.  In fact I just recently made the
"switch" from SysAdmin (users and desktop machines) to NetAdmin, so my
networking knowledge in general is "sparse" at the moment.

Anyway, we have the Max2012 in place and have tested the line from the
smartjack in the basement of the building up to the Max.  That tested ok.
Also with a loopback "toggle" that I created (with some help from Ascend)
I was able to test the Max itself and that seems ok.  Atleast the Red
Alarm went out.  Bell has been able to test everything from their side to
the smart jack, which again was ok.  However, when it is all together Bell
can't see our equipment.

So I guess my questions are:
- Is anyone familiar with the wiring of the PRI "smartjack".  The toggle
has pins 1-4 and 2-5 connected, so I assume that those are the only
important ones?

- How exactly does the CSU fit into all this (I know this is a basic
question and I apologize)?  From what I've read it works as a connection
between Bell's equipment and our equipment.  However, I've only seen this
in reference to T1s.  [The only source book I have specifically on ISDN
doesn't even mention a CSU (although it seems mainly geared toward the
BRI).  BTW does anyone have any suggestions for reference books?]  If I
understand the tech I've been working with from Bell, a CSU is essential.
If that was the case though, why would it be an optional component?

So do we need a CSU?  Does the Max2012 have an integrated CSU (as I
vaguely recall reading somewhere that it does, or can have one)?  How do I
determine if my Max2012 has a CSU?  Here is the main menu when I telnet
in, if that helps:

 x>00-000 System
 x 10-000 Net/T1
 x 20-000 K56 Modem-12
 x 30-000 Empty
 x 40-000 Serial WAN
 x 50-000 Ethernet

- Finally, when I telnet in, in the upper right hand corner of all the
"windows" there are flashing ??s.  Is this related to the fact that my
Max2012 is in a very confused state now, or does this have some other
signifcance?

I've tried reading through the manual that came with it, but we all know
how well that usually works out ;-)  If anyone has any helpful hints,
clues, or suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it.  Please resond to me
directly (fhouston@east.isi.edu) as to not take up any more of the list's
"time".

Thanks
Forrest Houston