Re: (ASCEND) Inter operability & BACP,DBA,BOD et. al. (fwd)

At 03:44 PM 9/16/97 -0700, MegaZone wrote:
>Once upon a time Matt Holdrege shaped the electrons to say...
>>I don't see the problem. We came up with a protocol that works called MP+.
>>It's an RFC. The IETF came out with a similar standards track RFC called
>>BACP which is in every major product (about 70 routers and TA's) except
>>Livingston.
>
>And it is needless overhead since it is hard to have a simple setting that
>says "oh, bring up the second channel if the traffic reaches level X".

So here you vote NO, and...

>Yes, I think we should do BACP too.  But I think it is wasteful for most
>applications.

...YES. Are you running for Governor or something ;) ?

>And, to be fair, MP+ is an Informational RFC, not a standard.

Correct. BACP is *the* standard that was born out of the MP+ ideas...

>Anyone can
>write an informational RFC.  I could write on to describe the high-water
>mark system, but I think that would be silly.

I don't think Matt was suggesting *anyone* to implement MP+, he simply
mentioned
that Ascend does MP+ when talking Ascend/Ascend (and a few others that did
implement it - ACC comes to mind). The standards way to do *managed* BOD is
BAP/BACP.

There is a whole line or arguments as to why you do or don't need to use such
a protocol...the bottom line is that for the most simple of cases, you
would not
need BACP or MP+, BUT there are advantages to having it. The only reason
MP+ was
ever "invented" was to solve a problem.....one that could not be solved in any
other standards based way. It was implemented about 5-or-so years ago
(originally
on the Ascend IMUX line), and was widely used in various scenarios before BACP
was conceived.

Most likely, we will implement a way to do BOD without using MP+ or BACP, and
have more limited control over the session. For now, as Matt pointed out,
there
are over 70 implementations of BACP out there which take advantage of it's
control features....

Kevin