Re: (ASCEND) Max 4000 memory

At 10:37 AM 8/8/98 -0400, Bao C. Ha wrote:

>I have just got my hands on an old Max 4000.
>
>I have a few questions:
>
>(1)  How do I upgrade the memory: DRAM and flash?  I seem to get
>an impression that the 4000's memory cannot be upgraded, but the
>TNT can.

The 4000 has fixed memory and cannot be upgraded.

>(2)  I have seen all of the terrible throughput and performance
>results reported on the Max 4000.  Is it true?  Compared to the
>Cisco AS5200 (We have been an all-cisco shop until now)?  The
>Max's I960-25Mhz should beat the Cisco's 030-20Mhz easily in
>pushing packets.

CPU clock rate is only one part of measuring a systems performance and
certainly not the most important part. In any case, the configuration and
utilization will determine the performance characteristics.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com