(ASCEND) Hard time connecting with Pipeline 75 problem - fixed !!

Well my "difficult to connect to my ISP" saga with my Pipeline 75 is
now over, and I thought I'd post a summary here for all to learn from,
and help others in the future with the same problem.

I have an Ascend Pipeline 75, I got it in November 1997.  I use NAT
and capture a different IP address on every log-on.  I had no problems
connecting to my local ISP until one weekend in late March 1998. At
that time my ISP was also; installing new equipment, new DNS numbers
and physically moving their location.  When I started having a hard
time connecting, I naturally assumed it was my ISP. My ISP assumed it
was me <s>..

To make a very, very, very long story short, I changed every
imaginable parameter on my P75.  I changed the cables, the software,
the settings, the PC, the network card in the PC, set up a new user
account, and I finally changed the router itself, and borrowed another
Pipeline from my ISP.  None of these things made any difference.  I
could only connect to my ISP about once or twice out of every eight or
nine tries.  Once I made a connection, it would work perfectly the
entire time I was connected; my problem was getting connected in the
first place.

I posted several messages here from time to time, but nobody had an
answer.  Several said they had seen the same problem, and finally had
to switch ISPs, where it went away..  Most were convinced it was my
set-up or my ISP's setup..

I posted here again a few weeks back, then I got a response from a
lady who said "try to connect at 56K". I did that and it worked!  So
now I was narrowing it down to the telephone company, who have
insisted for months their operations were perfect (they blamed my ISP
or my setup).

Then a fellow in California e-mailed me and told me to try putting the
area code in front of the dial-up number even though it was a local
call.  I did that, and it worked!!  64K connection every time.  When I
called my telephone company's operations manager back with that last
piece of info, he agreed it sounded like the problem was in fact on
their end, and agreed to investigate further.  By the next afternoon
they had identified the problem and fixed it. Four months of pulling
my hair out, and messing with this problem every day were over..

So I am now connecting at 64K or 128K everytime..

So here is the summary of stuff I learned:

1) A telephone company trunk line configured for "voice" will work at
56K but not at 64K.   When you hit that trunk, you have problems, miss
it and you are fine.  (That is overly simplistic, but it is the basic
idea).

2) Sometimes connection problems are caused by the Teleco, not by the
router, or user, or ISP's equipment or setup.

3) Every problem eventually has a solution <s>..

4) Sometimes a call going from one Teleco to another can act weird,
and both telephone companies have to work together to figure out the
problem.

 This mailing list has a terrific bunch of folks, who has a tremendous
depth of knowledge, and are very helpful, and I appreciate that very
much!!

Take care,

--  John

cain57@yahoo.com