Re: (ASCEND) Digital line quality issues

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Marcel Brown wrote:

> Just a quick, curious question. I feel pretty comfortable telling my
> customers that since we have digital PRI trunks instead of regular analog
> lines coming into our equipment, our end is free from line noise. Is there
> any way that digital lines can experience noise (other than noise that
> originates from the analog lines between the customer's house and the
> central office)?

That's what I tell mine.

> For the most part, most of my customers are connecting in the high 30's and
> mid 40's with some in the high 40's and a few hitting 50 or 52 every once
> in a while. However, as with any situation, there are a few that can't get
> good connections. Some claim that if they dial another ISP they get good
> connections. I wonder why they can get good connections with other ISP's,
> but not with us, considering that some of the ISP's have analog lines
> still, and other ISP's have the exact same equipment and/or have their
> PRI's terminate in another part of the same town as we do.

Because their phone office isn't digital, so the call is routed over one
or more analog trunk lines.  The trouble is in one of the trunks.  Since
calls to other ISPs go over different trunks, they won't have the same
problem.  Take heart, there are some customers who have to leave the other
ISPs for the same reason, so it balances out.

- J-Mag Guthrie

| The only function of | Brokersys                 | Talk sense   |
| economic forcasting  | 12703 Vets Memorial, #106 | to a fool    |
| is to make astrology | Houston, TX 77014         | and he calls |
| look respectable.    | +1-281-895-8101 (voice)   | you foolish. |
|                      | +1-281-895-8109 (fax)     |              |
|  - John K. Galbraith | http://www.brokersys.com/ | - Euripides  |