Re: (ASCEND) Routing Issue with Multiple Max 4080's

At 10:52 1998/08/14 -0400, Steve Haworth wrote:
>If I setup the static IP for the customer in one of the MAXES, the customer
>MUST be able to connect ONLY to that specific MAX box in order for the
>routing to take effect since our Cisco router has to point to one of the
>MAXES to resolve the range of IP's given to the customer

I see three solutions:

1> chain static routes from cisco -> max1 -> max2 -> max3
so that whichever box he connects to, your backbone router can reach them.
while inefficient, it should work...

2> assign the customer a single static IP out of the ethernet range,
and then point the static route on the cisco to that address.
I don't know what equipment you have as CPE, so this may not be possible.

3> use a dynamic routing protocol, OSPF or RIPv2
most flexable, and once you get it setup, it is no more work
the next time you need to do the same thing for a new customer.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D