Re: (ASCEND) Swapping modem cards between Maxen

At 14:42 1998/08/14 -0500, J-Mag Guthrie wrote:
>What we'd like to do is swap the modem cards between the 4002 and the 4004.

>Now, is there anything we need to do special or can we just power down
>both the 4004 and the 4002 and swap the modem cards out, power them up and
>reconfigure to recognize the new cards?

Almost that simple, except that "reconfigure to recognize the new cards"
includes loading a new software image on the boxes.

First the obvious, save the configurations to TFTP just in case,
then download the new software, for example on the 4002
load "ftik.m40" and on the 4004 load "ftim.m40".
Now do an fsave and nvram, then after the boxes finish rebooting,
turn off the power and move the cards.

(By downloading the new code before moving the cards
 you'll save 10-15min downtime that you'd otherwise have after
 moving cards but before the right software was loaded...)

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D