Re: (ASCEND) Static IP Users

I'm sorry, I didn't see this response before my last reply,
this does indeed clarify the situation...

At 19:32 1998/08/25 -0700, Laurent Saehyun Kim wrote:
>>I just upgraded our MAXs (4004 and 6000) with 6.1.7.  I reconfigured all
>>the settings from scratch.  Since then static IP users does not work.  They
>>will connect but can't go beyond MAX.  Is there any setting that allows
>>static users in 6.1.7?

>I have both Pool-Only = Yes and Proxy Mode = Active and it still does not
>work.  Here is an interesting thing though.

>If I assign a user with static IP from another Class C YYY.YYY.YYY.250, it
>does not work; however, if I set the static route from the router ( ip
>route YYY.YYY.YYY.0 255.255.255.0 XXX.XXX.XXX.10 ) it works but only to
>Max4004.
>
>I have RIP turned off on both MAXs.

since you have a very small number of NASes that the user might connect to,
you can make it work with static routes, but a dynamic protocol (Rip2/OSPF)
would be a better choice, to avoid having to change everything as your
network grows and becomes less manageable with lots of static routes.

To make it work:
1> as you have above, a single route from your border router
that points to one of the maxen.

2> a single static route _on_ the max pointed to by the first route
which then points the same netblock to max #2

one thing to keep in mind, unless none of your y.y.y.y
customers will ever need to access another y.y.y.y customer,
this _WILL_ create routing loops if someone tries to trace/ping/whatever
to an IP that is not in use on either max:
        border router->max 1->max 2->border router->etc.,
_unless_ you add a blackhole route on max2 to send to 127.0.0.3.

-Jim H

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D