(ASCEND) Re: Pipeline 75<-->75 and NAT.

Awhile back, I wrote:
>I have a pair of Pipeline 75 boxes, and am trying to get single-address
>NAT running using 5.1Ap6.  I'm unable to pass even the first step.
<...>
>The "home" box is never able to connect to the "office" box in
>this configuration.

I got a phone call from Ascend on my tech support email (apparently
it was an oddball thing to be trying).  The magic thing to enable
is "DHCP Spoofing" under Ethernet/Mod Config on the _remote_
Pipeline.  I'm not sure this is the end, though, because this causes
it to provide the "Rem Addr" address to the caller, regardless of
how I setup the DHCP parameters.  Since I _wanted_ it to pass out
a static IP, that's fine.

I've only had two problems thus far.  One is that traceroute doesn't
work behind the NAT router, though it worked when I was using Linux
to IPMasq.  I don't even get a report for the first stage of the
traceroute - I can traceroute to the NAT router's local address,
but I don't get the local address response if I traceroute past
it.  I also can't traceroute or ping _to_ the NAT router from
outside.

The other problem is that the NAT box doesn't get a route to the
address it was assigned.  The remote box _does_ get a route, though.
This means that I cannot attempt to connect to services at the NAT
IP address from the private LAN side of things - though it works
fine from the public side via "Def Server".

Thanks,
---
scott hess <scott@doubleu.com> (606) 578-0412 http://www.doubleu.com/
<Favorite unused computer book title: The Compleat Demystified Idiots
  Guide to the Zen of Dummies in a Nutshell in Seven Days, Unleashed>