(ASCEND) Multiple independant NFAS groups

Question: Can you have multiple independant NFAS groups on a Max?

What if I have a 23B+D and a 24B in a 4048, and another identical 4048.
Now I want to merge them into a 4004 (all 4 T1's active). That makes a
total of 2 D channels. But I think the Max might treat it as one big
NFAS group unless I did something special.

How do I inform the Max that one D channel signals for this T1 and that
other T1, and the other D channel signals for the two remaining T1's.

What about a TNT, now? What if we replaced a bunch of 4048's with a
single TNT. But each of the 4048's has NFAS across two lines. I want
to be sure it's possible to configure the distinction between 1 NFAS group
of 8 lines with 4 D channels, and 4 NFAS groups of 2 lines and 1 D channel
each.

-Phil