Re: (ASCEND) Max4000 and TWO telcos ?

>At 10:37 AM 6/30/98 -0700, Peter Lalor wrote:
>>
>>This is what Ivan (who knows of what he speaks) in Ascend Support said at
>>the time, and it was exactly the fix for frame slips on a Frame Relay T1:
>>
>>>This is a timing synchronization problem between the TNT and the frame
>>>relay switch.   Since the TNT is taking timing off the PRI, it cannot also
>>>take timing from the FR  T1.   What you need to do is to contact the
>>>carrier that provides you the FR T1 and ask him to take timing off the TNT.
>>
>>Whether you always need to do this I don't know, but it worked for me.
>
>This is a result of the troubleshooting process. Unfortunately with the TNT
>the chances of having to do this are multiplied somewhat by the number of
>different T1/T3 interfaces you are supporting. In many cases, the clocking
>on a MAX with only 2 or 3 PRI/T1s will be OK, as the likelihood
>(statistically)
>of the lines all falling in sync are much higher than when you start adding
>more lines - especially from different carriers/switches.
>
>There is no clear-cut answer. As you can see from one of our own FAQs:
>http://www.ascend.com/faqs/551/434.html
>- we have obviously seen this problem enough times, that we advise that all
>T1s be sourced from the same switch.
>
>There is no good way that I'm aware of to know in advance if this is going to
>work - hence our disclaimer worded in that FAQ. It might work (as often it
>does),
>but since we can't guarantee it....

I don't think Ascend needs to worry about guaranteeing it, and I think the
FAQ above is excessively rigorous, because IMO it _does_
work--perfectly--and I use _three_ telcos... and counting.

You just have to be careful about who clocks what where. ;-)

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/
415-459-7991 x102     415-459-7992 fax