Re: (ASCEND) Radius-980618 release

At 04:18 PM 6/30/98 -0400, Jim Howard wrote:

>Ascend's Access Control does this flexible limiting in
>a sort of "out of band" method by keeping track of which users
>are already logged in (radius accounting) and incrementing/decrementing
>some statefull table of users that it checks when it gets a radius request.
>(remember, the free radius is stateless)

Though AAC is not currently supported on Linux.....

>Ascend is, after all, a business, and it costs money to hire
>programmers to write a radius server. I don't have any evidence to it,
>but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the engineers simply work on
>the free radius server in their spare time they way they did
>"way back when" in the early days...  Whereas the AAC is
>a fully supported commercial app that can have a programming staff
>because it is supported by the revenue of its own sales.

That's just about what I was going to comment on. The server when
produced was basically released -"AS IS". We obviously fix bugs as
necessary and have added features when justified.

>the "free" radius is just that "free"...
>which means that, among other things, if it doesn't do exactly
>what you want you can modify it to your liking.

...wow, a radical approach :)

>It sounds to me like the Linux users just need to make Ascend
>aware that there is a demand for AAC under Linux, and once
>there _is_ enough of a market it _will_ get ported.

Feature requests via the *appropriate channels* will go a lot further
than comments on this informal discussion group. I have in the past
tried to champion stuff from here, but to be fair it's difficult to
prioritize features based on hearsay and third party comments - hence
we have a formal feature request channel, via your sales/account rep.

Note what is says on the WEB site:

===
It is currently available on the following platforms:
      ^^^^^^^^^
Solaris 2.5.1 (Sparc and Intel)
Sun OS 4.1.4
HP UX 9 and 10.1
AIX 4.1
Windows NT 4.0
BSDI
===

So, in future builds it could be supported more widely - depends on
demand and market justification.

Kevin Smith			Ascend Communications...
Customer Satisfaction	...where Network Solutions never end.