(ASCEND) HA-192 on TNT 2.0.7

All:

Am I the only person who's completely confused here?

Ascend's HA-192 slot card for the TNT contains 6 HDLC processors, each
responsible for 32 HDLC channels for a maximum of 192 HDLC channels.  My
understanding is that the HA-192 card should complement a fully loaded
channelized 8-port T1 card, with 24 channels per port.

Unfortunately, it seems that much like the Max 400x chassis, each T1
needs to be assigned to its own HDLC processor, so 8 out of the 32
available channels per HDLC processor is wasted, and the usable amount
of T1s per card drops to a maximum of 6.

Adding insult to injury, it seems that the TNT's software, as of version
2.0.7, is now only capable of supporting 96 HDLC channels per HDLC
card.  Yup, you guessed it, those 96 channels are composed of only 3
HDLC processors, so when you include the 8 channel waste from above, you
get a maximum of 72 usable HDLC channels.

That's 192 theoretical channels, and 72 actually usable for channelized
T1s.  I wonder what my customers would say if I told them that the
hardware they're paying for is only capable of using 38% of its
resources due to poor hardware planning and software implementation.  I
know how I feel about it.

>From what I read in the latest release notes, 2.0.7 reduces the number
of available HDLCs per card from 128 to 96.  I'm just wondering why.

Ascend, if you're going to tell me that I need to purchase three HA-192
cards to get the HDLCs needed to support 8 T1s in a TNT, I'm gonna have
to ask you to step outside.

Does anyone have any clues that I'm missing here?  TAC seems to be
somewhat clueless on the matter, except to inform me that I need to
spend thousands more on additional HDLC cards when I was initially
promised by Ascend that I'd only need one.

I'd love to be mistaken, here.

Regards,
-Tom Pepper
Sysadmin, Lighthouse Communications.