(ASCEND) Re: More smurf networks. FIX YOUR ROUTERS.

> The v6.0.2 software on the MAX lets you block directed broadcasts (last
> option under the ethernet config).  That version has been very stable for
> me...does NSSA in OSPF too.

There does however seem to be a bug with that. I have a ticket with Tech
support that is partially about that.

A directed broadcast is defined as a broadcast which is destined for a
LAN (or other broadcast capable network) not directly attached to the
initiator of the broadcast.

Stopping direted broadcasts from being forwarded is not supposed to
prevent regular broadcast (non directed ones) from working. In fact,
regular broadcasts are necesary for things like routing protocols.

The bug is: Setting "Forward Directed Bcast=No" also prevents regular
broadcasts.

I noticed this because at least one of the V.90 beta images (the one
I happen to be using on a spare 1800) lacks the "RIP2 Use Multicast"
feature, so I am stuck broadcasting the RIP packets. But this wasn't
working because those broadcasts aparently are being prevented.

I am stuck setting "Forward Directed Bcast=Yes" if I want RIP to work
at all. But hopefully the production V.90 code will have the
"RIP2 Use Multicast" option!

-Phil