Re: (ASCEND) Link status '-' on a P75?

At 12:39 1998-09-29 -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
>At 09:27 AM 9/29/98 , Marcus Åkesson wrote:
>>At 14:48 1998-09-28 -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>
>>But Kevin, this is normal operation for a Pipeline running NET3
>>(Euro-ISDN)! Don't ask me why, but 10 sec after it hangs up, the Link, B1
>>and B2 all goes to ".", and the WAN light start flashing. This goes on
>>until the next incoming or outgoing call, when Link comes on as "P".
>>Everything works, but  this seemed like a faulty connection of some sort at
>>first, but we have learned that its just the way Ascend does NET3???
>
>It's actually an artifact of the net3 spec. versus how we indicate the
>status of the link. In Net3, the logical link is destroyed after a call
>is completed and reconstructed on the next incoming/outgoing call. Since
>our display indicator of logical-link-down is the ".", that's what will
>show in the "inactivity" time.

Thanks for the info. Now I finally know WHY this is normal. Always good to
have an answer when other people ask...

>Aron was referring to ISDN-2, which I didn't think dropped the logical
>link like Net-3 does? (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong :)

And I'm sure I won't, since I don't actually know ANYTHING about ISDN-2
(there, said it, now the whole world knows ;-)), thats why I so clearly
stated that "for NET3 bla bla bla" (see above) when You said:

>Most often this is caused by invalid SPIDs here in the US - which doesn't
>help you in the UK! Basically layer-2 is down, for whatever reason.

It was more like an invitation to discuss the differences. Why do the UK
have two ISDN specs in the first place???

Btw, You're doing a great job here Kevin, always good solid information
when we need it.

/Marcus