Re: (ASCEND) Another new modem standard - V.91

daniel provencher wrote:

> hi all
>
>         I got this email, somebody know about that...???
>
>         Daniel Provencher
>         Internet laurentides
>

> >You may be interested to know that another new modem standard, V.91 was
> >largely agreed by the ITU's Study Group 16 in Geneva last week.
> >V.91 is the "all digital mode" extension to V.90.  It will be important
> where >users want to access V.90 services over digital circuits and in the
> longer >term for packet data services over mobile phones.  V.91 is not an
> official ITU >Recommendation yet, but some vendors will probably have V.91
> software for >downloading early next year.
> >You can get more details from the open news pages on our web site,
> >http://www.point-topic.com.  Access 56K Modem News.
> >
> >Tim Johnson, Editor, point-topic.com
> >
> >Pia Heikkila, Marketing Manager, point-topic.com

Forgive me if I am being a little niave here, but is not an "all digital
mode" that uses a "terminal adapter" currently known as ISDN?  What
would be the point of having an all digital line with a terminal adapter
at the and and hoping for v.90 speeds when ISDN is capable of 64K per
channel?  What would be the point of making a new standard for digital
lines?  Something seems a little hokey to me.

The wireless part of it does sound interesting though...

--
---
Glenn Howard