Re: (ASCEND) Max-4000 E1/T1

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 06:10:23AM -0700, Matt Holdrege wrote:
> At 01:03 PM 4/20/98 +0200, Andre Beck wrote:
> >If you by "quiese" mean to signal to the telco that an E1 is currently
> >inoperative and the telco should refuse calls which otherwise would
> >be routed to this PRI (or route them to another PRI if the failed one
> >is part of a "bundle"), I would see at least two ways to do that:
> >[... ways of killing snipped ...]
>
> I don't believe that's quiescing. That's taking the line down. Quiesce
> means to take the line down gracefully without affecting users. So you
> prevent new calls from coming in. You wait for the existing calls to complete.

Ah yep. Now, if _that_ is quiescing, it is IMHO no E1 issue. E1 is L1
stuff and there is no considerable difference between E1 or T1 from the
view of the L3 (ISDN signaling).

> The methods above are not a standard way to do anything and different
> switches may behave differently. National ISDN (USA) has a standard method
> for sending service messages to the switch to quiesce. ETSI NET 5 doesn't.

Ok, NI vs. NET5 is clearly a L3 issue. But I would admit that taking L2
down or signaling L1 loss (there is no "normal" L1 down with PRI like with
BRI deactivation) are standard ways of telling the switch that this PRI
is inoperative and cannot be used for anything that requires an operative
L3. Of course it instantly kicks all open connections...

> >This is, AFAIK, impossible. The switch is the final location where state
> >is kept of which Bs are allocated and which are not. I don't expect that
> >there would be a way to trick this. Actually signalling L2 or L1 down is
> >the clean way. The big question is whether the telco interprets this in
> >the correct way (switches are computers running software, too...).
>
> As I said earlier, SS7 is a usable method and it is a world-wide standard.

I know SS7 so far only from Q.850 (description of the ISDN cause code
information element). Is it a predecessor of DSS1 or actually something
newer ?

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   XLink PoP Dresden | o |