Re: (ASCEND) CLID data in ERROR

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Earl Barfield wrote:

> > I have a Pipeline 75 running 7.0.0 code.  I'm connected to a 5ESS Bell
> > Atlantic switch.  I have logging enabled to a unix host.
> >
> > I am noticing bogus phone numbers appearing in the syslog file and in the
> > pipeline 75 history window (upper right hand corner).  The numbers are
> > numbers of people who have called on previous days - however, they haven't
> > called today (for example).
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed this?  It sounds like a buffer overflowing or
> > something..
>
> Absolutely!!  I asked the same question months ago, but never got an
> answer.
>
> I'm running a Pipeline 75 with 5.1Ap1 code, connected to a BellSouth
> 5ESS and syslogging to a Unix host.
>
> I got those errors on an even older version of OS (4.something).  I'd
> considered upgrading to 7 in hopes that they'd gone away, but I guess
> not.  It doesn't happen every time, but enough to make it unreliable
> as caller-id logging.
>
> I haven't put a sniffer on the line to see if the pipeline is delaying
> in sending the data or if syslog on the Unix machine is delaying in
> outputting it to a file.

There was a similar problem in the Max TNT awhile back..  What was
happening was that if there was caller id info available it was logged.
Then if there was no caller id info available, it would log the last
caller on that (in this case) modem.  So basically it was not clearing out
the caller id info, and it was re-using the info that happened to be in
there when the next call came in without caller id info available.

This was fixed in the TNT at about code level 2.1.9, so maybe the code is
similar enough that the bug is still present in your software tree.

Unfortunately, I lost the TR number for this.  You should probably call
Ascend and open a ticket on this one..

					Mike Jackson
					TSCNet