Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Router for ADSL

Ken Rea wrote:

> We're going to be putting on ADLS here through GTE.  They bring in the
> client's connection through a frame relay connection to the GTE cloud.
>
> What router have the other ISP's been using for this?

  GTE uses Fujitsu-Orckit ADSL equipment.  What you need to use on your
end is a router that will handle *bridged* connections over *frame relay*.

  Ignore all the info about who has what market share with DSL, because
it doesn't apply in your case.  You won't be supplying the DSLAM or the
ADSL modems, because GTE is using a proprietary system where they supply
all the DSL equipment.  Each DSL customer will appear to your router as
a separate frame relay PVC.

  The traffic you will receive in your router for your ADSL clients
is *bridged* ethernet packets of any and all protocols.  The Orckit modem
is a learning bridge, so you won't see internal unicast traffic.  You
will see all broadcast traffic, including IP, IPX, Apple's ethertalk,
NetBEUI, and anything else that is on the client's network.  Your frame
relay router (or FRAD) will need to be able to handle these ethernet
packets, filter them, and then route them.

  In our case, we have T1 connections (3) to GTE's frame switch, and we
serve a mixture of frame-to-frame and frame-to-ADSL customers.  If you
only expect to have a dozen or so ADSL customers, a Cisco 2501 will work
fine.  If you plan to pack 40-60 customers on a T1, we've found that a
Cisco 2620 works well.  Handling the bridging of traffic and filtering
out NetBEUI and IPX is CPU intensive, and the 2501 will bog down when you
get to larger numbers of customers.

  Good luck.

  Steve
--
Steve Belter                    Wintek Corporation
E-mail: seb@wintek.com          427 N 6th Street