Re: Crossfire... status?

> What is the status of the client server version of crossfire?  I think that
> that would be real interesting.

Me too.  Unfortunately I have to learn how to use tcp/ip before implementing
it.  And I have absolutely no literature to help me as of now, so it
will probably take a while.
If anyone knows of a good (free) tcp/ip library which is easy to use,
please let me know.

> I am having trouble with the cfree function call.  I tried changing all the
> cfree calls to just free.  From the man page this seemed ok.  However,
> after compiling I was not able to so into shops.  It seemed that the program
> was not freeing up memory correctly.    I am running this on Linux (that may
> be the problem) which does not seem to have cfree in it's libraries.

I'm trying to change all calloc to malloc and cfree to free, but there
are still some pieces of code around which relies on receiving cleared
memory (*really* weird things happened when I tried it).  It will take
a while to hunt them down.

> Are the teleporters controlable.... I think that they should be or at least
> some sort of pattern available to them.

It's a pure random selection among other teleporters within 5 squares.
I've just added other things that can work as teleporters, like holes/pits
and traps.  With them, you decide exactly where you want the victims to land.
In next version you can choose between random teleport and specific teleport
when you place the teleporters from the editor.

> What is the progress on the save function?

It must wait until after the server/client structure.

> Weapon idea....
>
>  Vorperal Boomarang --treat it as an arrow or bolt but make it come back to
>                       you after it has sliced through the body of the enemy.
>                       (the bitmap for this could be real easy).

Sounds feasible.

> Other Idea....
>
> How about a backpack or a bag of holding.  Something so that I can carry more
> without being hampered by it.  (200 arrows are just too heavy :)

The code for putting objects in objects is there.  The only problem is how
to display it graphically.  Of course, I could always avoid displaying it,
forcing the player to type "look in bag", etc, like any adventure game.

-Frank.