Re: Saved games again

>Is there any reason why the current maps shouldn't be saved with the
>player?
>I realise that this makes the player save file much bigger and also
>means that there is a potential problem if the maps get changed and
>also a possible problem in restoring the game if the player is being
>added to an existing game, due to the differences in current maps,
>though this should be something that can be overcome.
>
>Pat Place   prp@sei.cmu.edu

If the range of available maps was smaller, we could save a list of the maps
that were completely cleared by a player (or maps that had all the generators
removed).  The next time a player started a game those maps would be empty.
This would allow players to play for a while, then restart later and not
have to redo levels when working through multi-level places like the 'old
mansion' or the 'dark cave'.  This could also be done for multi player
sessions but would be more difficult.  Or disassociate saving the maps
from saving the players.  You could have a player load a 'quest' that
would load a list of maps that have been cleared.  There are various ways
to do this but the idea I want to get across is instead of saving maps
that are an exact image of the current game, it might be sufficent to save
the map name and a flag that would indicate wether it should be 'populated'
with treasure and monsters or not.

just an idea

byron