Re: More Thoughts.

>From: master@cats.UCSC.EDU (Mark Wedel)

> Alchemy:  Sure, hauling it back to town may be realistic, but with
>word of recall (or even dimensions door), distance becomes much less
>a factor.  Also, in many cases, all that distance does is add
>time (random monsters don';t exist, and you can kill all the monsters
>before you get to your destination.  Although, depending on the map
>reset time, this may vary..)
>
> Also, even with alchmey spell, it would still be cost effective to
>haul the items back to town than to alchemy them, because value after
>alchemy will always be less than what you could sell them for.

What I see in alchemey good is, that you can clean up a large area easy.
( with alchemy metals, with burning_hands others ). This is convient,
when fightning against ice-spelling monsters.

> Scale:  The 'problem' is that you are just as large outside as you
>are in a dungeon.  Cast a large fireball, and have the mountain range
>is covered.  Likewise, in some cases, the distance between shops inside
>the town is more than the distance between the towns themselves..

Well, this is not very big 'problem', because there is rarely need to
cast spells in outdoors, I think.

> As for combat:  To outside people, a combat symbol could perhaps be made.
>IF they try to move to where that symbol is, they also become part
>of the combat.
>
> Tiling:  The advantage this has over one large map is you have
>separate maps, so a person could design a part of a continent, for example,
>and instead of merging it into the present continent (which there really
>isn't a way to do so right now), you just add these maps to the

CrossEdit has ability to cut,copy & paste in next release. So with these
you can insert parts of maps to others.

>existing one, modify the border ones a little so they link up, and
>your set.  (I suppose you can do that right now.)  However, I think
>it would look nicer that as you reach the edge of one map, instead of
>seeing blackness, you see the edge of the map your moving to.

Personally I feel no need of tiling in design maps. Tiling would be
nice, but it is not nesessary.

//   Petri Heinila   //   email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi                 //
//                   //   mail:  Ainonkatu 2A                         //
//                   //          53100 Lappeenranta                   //
//                   //          Finland, Europe                      //