Re: map design

>> Most new players have some difficulty to find some interesting maps to
>> begin with.  The beginner's level was a very useful addition to the
>> crossfire world, but we should go one step further : insert a message near
>> the entrance of the largest buildings and cities.  Each message would give
>> some info about the map, its main features, what kind of players should
>> enter it, and (at least in the debug versions) the name of the people who
>> wrote it.
>>
>> This could also help the experienced players to find the interesting
>> locations in the newest maps.  I think that there are too few messages in
>> the current maps.  (Note : I don't want to spoil the fun of the exploration;
>> we have to find a way to describe a map without telling too much about it.)
>
> This message feature could be build into crossfire. Because, there
> is in map-object in maps, a slot for message. It could be invoked
> in command line e.g. "mapinfo".

This is a possibility, but it would also be good if all of these descriptions
could be put into a "Guidebook" file, so that people could read it outside of
the game, and pick areas they'd like to try to find/avoid.  Then they have to
search out the areas they're interested in....

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff Bailey (Fred the Wonder Worm)   |   Programmer by trade --
ftww@cs.su.oz.au                      |       Gameplayer by vocation.