problems with 0.89.3 servers

Hi all,

We've just got 0.89.3 working - we've been playing 0.89.2 for quite some time now.
There are about four players here who are really good - the best has had an 80th
level mage!  Obviously we are all keen to try out the new stuff in 0.89.3.  But
we are having a few problems.

Because 0.89.2 kept crashing on us, especially when more than one person was in
the same game, most people tended to play crossfire on their own, by just typing
"crossfire".  However, when we risked a teamgame every now-and-then, someone
would start a server and then we would all join in with our existing characters.
We don't seem to be able to do this in 0.89.3.  Yesterday one guy running a
0.89.3 server added me in, and I gave my current characters name and password.
I thought it was going wrong when it asked me to repeat my password, and lo and
behold, it was a brand new character, not my 7th level barbarian.  We tried this
several times, and I checked that the character was still there by starting my own
server - yes, everything was fine.

So what is going on, and how can we sort this out?

Thanks for your help,

Sy